Finally, it’s nearly time to launch The Five Things Book on Kickstarter. After many months of hard work writing the copy, designing the book and artwork, creating the video and putting together the Kickstarter campaign – the launch is imminent. The campaign goes live at midday on Thursday 12th November and will run for 30 days. Finishing at midday on Saturday 12th December. I’ve worked out that I roughly need to sell around 300 copies of the book to make the campaign succeed. So, over the next 30 days I will be PR-ing the campaign using social media, as well as visiting design studios with marketing materials, talking at events (just this week I talked twice at Belfast Design Week) and also using email newsletters to spread the word.
I am excited (and also a bit nervous) to finally get the campaign live for the everyone to see, and hopefully, support. This project forms the main part of my Masters degree, and I hope, with your help I can make this book a reality.
In case you aren’t aware of the project and what it is all about, here is a brief summary of the Five Things project, in *five* bullet points:
1. Last year I created a website to document the things people – from all over the world – would chose as their five favourites, along with the reasons why they love those things.
2. Currently there are over 120 submissions to the site. From 16 countries, across 5 continents. (And they are pretty amazing to read!)
3. There are many notable graphic designers, musicians, artists and writers on the site (and in the book). The Foreword is written by Game of Thrones star Kristian Nairn.
4. The submissions were so wonderful, I designed a coffee table book to showcase them. I aim to self-publish this book using www.kickstarter.com (the world’s largest crowdfunding website).
5. On November 12th I (will) put the campaign live, and need you to help make the book a reality, by purchasing it on Kickstarter.
Not sure what Kickstarter is, or how it works? Read this earlier blog post. It helps explains how to use Kickstarter. Basically, You buy the book before it is produced (pre-sales).
Blogger? Journalist? Want a press pack to help spread the word?
I have created a large, and small, press pack for any bloggers or journalists out there who would like to write about the project, just get in touch via email or the contact form on the site for more information.
Thank you for reading, and hopefully backing The Five Things Book on Kickstarter.